Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Peace of God

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)

When God saves me from sin's slavery, he does so continually and completely. One of the benefits of God's redeeming work is his peace. I live in a sinful world. I remain a sinner. This ensures that strife and inner turmoil will continue to trouble me. I cannot win this battle. God must do it for me. And the most precious gift he can give me in this world is the peace of mind that passes all understanding. If I have peace of mind, rooted in the solid foundation of Jesus Christ, I can live with any circumstance the world brings my way.

1. Think of a circumstance in your life that makes you unsettled or troubled. How can God's peace enter in to that? Have you asked for his peace in that area?

2. God promises to guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Think of an area where your heart and mind need God's protection - an area where you feel helpless, where you have been ineffective in your own efforts to avoid troubling thoughts or reactions. Ask for God's protection and peace there.

-- Charlie

No comments: