Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Do you presume on the riches of His kindness?

"Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?" (Romans 2:4)

How are we best motivated to do good? God is the perfect judge of all people. But he is also continually showing kindness, forbearance and patience towards me. He needs to do that since I continue to sin and fall short. But God, having a greater view of my perfection in mind, is leading me towards repentance. He puts up with my constant falling so that I might have opportunity to realize my shortcomings and turn from sin and do good. I am more powerfully motivated by God's patience and kindness than I am by fear. God, in his wisdom, has chosen love and kindness over fear as the way to motivate me towards repentance.

1. When you reflect on your sin, what is the image of God in your mind?

2. Are you motivated to live the right way by fear or by a love for God?

3. Do you ever neglect to reflect on and confess your sin? According to this passage, what is the risk of that?

-- Charlie

No comments: