Wednesday, December 23, 2009

His Spirit Enables Us to Understand His Word

"The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14)

Have you ever gotten into a conversation with someone about spiritual things and found it frustrating? Do you try and explain what God says in the bible, only to have the person say "that may work for you" or "that's just Paul's opinion" or any number of other warm or cold responses to the gospel? God our Redeemer says that, in fact, it's impossible for the natural person to understand the things of God. Only with His help can anyone understand the things God says in His word.

As people redeemed from slavery to sin, we have an amazing gift from God: his Spirit which enables us to understand what he says in his word. I still marvel each day when I read the bible that I have any interest in it. I remember all too well the hostility I had before God broke into my life. I can say for certain that my understanding of God's word is not due to my cleverness. It is all due to the Spirit that God gave me when he called me into a relationship with him.

1. Can you recall a time when you did not care about God's word to you - when it seemed boring or foolish?

2. What do you think of God's word now? Do you turn to it every day? Do you listen intently to good sermons?

3. Have you had conversations with people who don't accept the word of God? Knowing that they cannot understand without God's help, how does that affect the way you should work with them?

-- Charlie

No comments: