Sunday, December 13, 2009

Our Eternal Future with God

God is eternal, and we have an eternal future with him.

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21: 1-4)

I never tire of reading this. I have memorized it. It brings joy to me every time. Why is that? Because it transcends mere logic and goes right to my heart. It puts everything in perspective. It motivates me not because of sin, or what God can do for me now, or remorse or how I can do better. All of that will be finished in eternity. We have only God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit, along with all his elect in sinless, painless perfection. It melts my heart when I read the phrase "He will wipe every tear from their eyes." God, as big as he is, will notice the smallest tear and wipe it away one last time. Then, all pain is over.

No matter how exciting or discouraging life is right now, this puts everything into perspective. Meditate on it today and see if you agree.

-- Charlie

No comments: