Sunday, October 4, 2009

On Thursday, I remember that God is my Shepherd.

1O God, save me by your(C) name,
and vindicate me by your might.
2O God,(D) hear my prayer;
give ear to the words of my mouth.

3(E) For(F) strangers[b] have risen against me;
ruthless men(G) seek my life; they do not set God before themselves. Selah

4 Behold,(H) God is my helper;
the Lord is the upholder of my life.
5 He will return the evil to my enemies;
in your(I) faithfulness(J) put an end to them.
6 With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you;
I will give thanks to your name, O LORD,(K) for it is good.
7 For he has delivered me from every trouble,
and my eye has(L) looked in triumph on my enemies.” (Psalm 54)

1. In the middle of trouble, I can expect God to hear my call for help.

2. Before I see the answer, I can settle myself and be assured that God always helps me.

3. I can begin to thank God in anticipation of the help he will provide.

This is not how I normally act in the middle of trouble. I panic. I worry. I doubt. But here I see someone who is certainly troubled by something. But they are confident that God will help. They remember the pattern of God’s help in the past. And they already begin planning their thanksgiving to God for the help he will provide.

How many of us are in the middle of some trouble right now? Do you see God as the reliable helper he always is? Can you counter your emotions and fear with knowledge of this bigger-than-life God who will help?

Be comforted by this shepherding God we have on our side today.

--Charlie

No comments: