Sunday, October 4, 2009

On Monday, I remember that God is my King and I am his ambassador.

12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and(S) hunger, abundance and(T) need. 13I can do all things(U) through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:12-13)

This struck me as an important ingredient in being a good and effective ambassador of God’s Kingdom: contentment. How can we be good ambassadors of our saving, loving God if we are worried about our income or preoccupied by our wealth? These are great problems, and Paul has shown us here that it’s important to not get distracted by them. God (our Shepherd, Father, Redeemer, Creator, eternal) is also our King. We can go through the day being preoccupied by his business without worry over how we will pay the rent. Or being so satisfied with our income that we lose urgency for his work. Contentment in all things is the foundation of effective discipleship.

--Charlie

No comments: