Tuesday, July 28, 2009

God My Judge - Tuesday, July 28, 2009

“O LORD, I know the way of man is not in himself;
It is not in man who walks to direct his own steps,
O LORD, correct me, but with justice;
Not in Your anger, lest You bring me to nothing”
(Jeremiah 10:23-24)

This is the day I remember that one of God’s characteristics is justice: he is my Judge. It’s not a happy thought. But here is why it leads to a deeper appreciation of the happy and wonderful characteristics of our salvation:

“As the heart is more washed, we grow more sensible of its remaining defilement; just as we are more displeased with a single spot on a new coat, than with a hundred stains on an old one. The more wicked people become, the less ashamed they are of themselves; and the more holy people grow, the more they learn to abhor themselves.” John Berridge, 18th century minister, Church of England

Yes, I take greater satisfaction in having God examine my sinful life and remedy the problem, than gaining all the approval people of the world could offer.

-- Charlie

No comments: